How to Volunteer
Please note:Caring Canines Visiting Therapy Dogs, Inc. is located in Massachusetts in the greater Boston area. We have no chapters or affiliations in any part of the country or in other parts of the world.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Caring Canines volunteer.
Here are the basic qualifications needed:
Your dog must:- be at least a year old
- be healthy, parasite-free and up to date on all shots
- have basic obedience skills (sit,* down/stay, come)
- be friendly, gentle and have good visiting manners
- be able to retain his/her steadiness and good manners
around wheelchairs, walkers, crutches and the noises
and smells of a hospital or nursing facility environment
- be willing and able to tolerate clumsy, exuberant petting
- be able to work well around other dogs
- be spayed or neutered
Greyhounds are not required to sit
Obedience skills are NOT required for small dogs that will be held for visiting
- must be 18 years or older
- must have private transportation
- are requested to commit to a minimum of ten vists per year
We recommend reading the article, "Dog Assisted Therapy: Is
Your Dog a Good Fit?" to help
determine whether your dog is likely to enjoy
being a therapy dog.
The Application Process
Additional information about the application process and volunteering with our program may be found in our Frequently Asked Questions section.